The ADA supports and encourages AI development in Australia, but raises concerns that the copyright system in Australia likely to impede AI development.
In summary, our concerns relate to:
- The use of third-party copyright material in machine learning (ML) process and AI systems;
- The authorship and ownership of outputs generated by AI;
- Obligations arising from moral rights in relation to material used in ML processes;
- The extent to which current copyright exceptions may (or may not) apply to uses of material in AI systems;
- Potential copyright solutions to support AI development.